Saturday, February 4, 2012

Chicken Kiev (aka Chicken Cordon Bleu - ish)

In keeping up with my cooking a new meal every week, here is last weeks.  The recipe is called Chicken Kiev but I made some adjustments so it turned out more like Chicken Cordon Bleu without the ham/prosciutto.  I guess a more technical name would be cheese stuffed chicken breast or something like that, but I am not a recipe creater or namer (obviously). :) This would also be a good meal to make ahead and cook the next day because it has to chill in the frig for 1-24 hours. 

Ingredients: 1 tablespoon chopped green onion, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (I used dry and it worked ok), 1 clove garlic, minced, 1 egg, beaten, 1 tablespoon water, 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs, 2-3 skinless chicken breast, salt and black pepper, monterey jack cheese, stick (see note/picture),1 tablespoon butter

Note: Here are the changes I made I only used 1 chicken breast.  It was huge once I pounded it out so I cut the 1 in half to make 2.  The original recipe used a stick of margarine (instead of cheese) cut in half and then cut in half length wise to make a butter stick.  I used monterey jack cheese and did the same concept.  I am assuming the butter is what made it the ""Kiev".  See the picture below for a better description.  I had quite a bit of flour and bread crumbs left over so if you are only using 1-2 chicken breast you can cut back on the measurements of those two ingredients a little bit. 
--->Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
--->Mix together the chopped green onion, parsley (if using fresh) and garlic. Set aside.  Note: I used the "garlic cubes" for the garlic.
--->In a bowl mix the egg and 1 tablespoon water.  Put the flour in another bowl. And yet in another bowl (I know alot of dishes) place the bread crumbs.  Set aside.
--->Place the chicken breast in between two pieces of plastic wrap. I just used one big sheet and folded it over.  Pound chicken until it is about 1/4 inch thick. 

--->Remove from the plastic wrap.  This is where I cut the 1 chicken breast in half to make 2.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Divide the green onion/garlic/parsley mixture between the chicken breast.
---> Place a stick of the cheese in the center of each chicken piece. Fold in the side edges and roll from the bottom to the top.
--->Coat the chicken first in the egg mixture, then the flour mixture, then the bread crumbs.  For a thicker coating after coating once, re-coat with the egg mixture and the bread crumbs.  Note:  Make sure you coat the ends well to help keep the cheese from making an escape. :)

--->Place in a baking dish, cover and refrigerate for 1-24 hours. (1 hour minimum) I left mine in overnight and cooked them the next day. 

--->When you are ready to cook the chicken, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet, add the chicken rolls to the skillet.  Cook about 5 minutes or until golden brown.  Turn the chicken every few minutes to brown all sides. 
--->Remove from skillet and place back into the backing dish.  Bake for 15-18 minutes.  They should come out looking like this.  Apparently I didn't coat the ends of that one very well and the cheese escaped.

--->EAT!
Note: It might be helpful to wait a few minutes before cutting into the chicken so that the cheese doesn't run out all at once.  I was too excited and cut right into it.  Hence, the cheese running out. 

You can find a written version of this recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment