Saturday, February 18, 2012

Picante Beef Roast

Last weeks "new recipe".  Alas, the CrockPot came through again! I noticed that all of my recipes so far have mostly been with chicken so I thought I would try some beef.  :) It turned out pretty good but it's probably not one of those that I will make on a regular basis.  Don't get me wrong I liked it, it's just not going on my top 10 list.  Still definitely worth sharing though!

It was a meal of "new" recipes actually.  I also made Cream Cheese Deviled Eggs and Carrot Mashed Potatoes.  Yes, carrot mashed potatoes.  They looked really unique in the picture.  I thought orange mashed potatoes...awesome! That should add some color and well they just looked cool, but they didn't turn out so great.  Might be ok with some tweaking...ha.

Again, I cut the recipe in half and it fit perfectly in my small CrockPot. NOTE: The measurements for the ingredients below are for the full recipe. 

Ingredients: 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 lbs.), trimmed, 1 jar (16 oz) picante sauce, 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce, 1 envelope taco seasoning, 3 tablespoons cornstarch, 1/4 cup water. 

Note: Before putting the roast into the CrockPot, trim off the fat to avoid having a "greasy" gravy. I got a 3 lb. roast and cut it in half, using one half and freezing the other.  After trimming, place the roast in the CrockPot.

In a bowl, mix together the picante sauce, tomato sauce and taco seasoning.  Pour this mixture over the roast in the CrockPot.

Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until the meat is tender.

After it is done cooking, remove the meat and place on a plate or serving platter. Transfer 3 cups (or 1 and 1/2 if you cut the recipe in half) of the sauce to a small saucepan an bring to a boil.

While sauce is heating, mix together the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Slowly stir in the cornstarch mixture to the sauce and bring back to a boil, stirring continuously until the sauce has thickened.  It only takes a couple of minutes for the sauce to thicken. 

Slice the roast and serve with the gravy.  Enjoy!

The written version of this recipe can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment