Sunday, August 5, 2012

Steak Tacos with Cucumber-Avocado Salsa

The star of this is the cucumber-avocado salsa! I was a little leary but WOW!  I have made this multiple times since making for the first time a few weeks ago. And it is HEALTHY! It came from a Ellie Krieger Cookbook.  If you don't know who that is, well, she is all about healthy.

The original recipe had different seasonings for the steak.  I didn't have all of them so I compromised.  For the original recipe, see the "Recipes" page. 

Steak Tacos
Ingredients (for steak fajitas, salsa below): Top Sirloin Steak, the package I bought has three steaks in it.  I only used one and froze the extra for later use.  Steak seasoning, lime juice, tortillas. 

Rub the steak seasoning into the steak one both sides.  Let set for a few minutes. 

Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a pan.  When oil is hot add the steak.  Cook for a few minutes on each side, time depends on your preference of doneness.  Just before it is completely cooked squeeze some lime juice over it.  When cooked, remove from pan and set aside.  Let it rest while you make the salsa. 


Cucumber-Avocado Salsa
Ingredients: 1 cucumber, seeded and diced, 2 medium avocadoes, peeled, pitted and diced, 1/2 red onion, diced, juice of 2 limes, salt to taste, 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, 3 jalepeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped (or to taste). 

Note: The ingredients are listed as they are on the orginal recipe.  I halved the recipe.  I ate the left over on chips the next day.  Makes a great dip!  I made the salsa again on its own just to eat with chips. 

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and toss gently to combine. 

Go back to the steak, place on a cutting board and slice it into strips. 

Plate and serve!  I heated the tortilla on a tortilla warmer and topped with the steak, salsa, extra lime juice and cilantro. 

The salsa is so flavorful that you do not need to add anything else to these.  It is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment